Proposals for development of livestock sector
April 10, 2013
Dr. Zafar Iqbal, Directorate of Animal Health, Livestock Department, Lahore
Livestock department is responsible for the development of Livestock sector. Improvement of the efficiency of Livestock and Dairy Development will result in the development speed of the Livestock sector. Here are proposals for the improvement of the efficiency of Livestock department and directly for Livestock sector. Implementation on these proposals will definitely improve the efficiency of Livestock sector. Proposals are as follow.
1. Livestock department has an organizational setup being established 50 years before. It has been changed to some extent during devolution. For improvement of efficiency it is must to improve the organizational setup. After implementation of 4-tier service structure it is feasible to change the organizational setup to some extent without complicated procedure of sanction of new posts. It is suggested that Livestock department should have a separate district office management. For that purpose there should the office of EDO in each district. An organizational setup suggested for District Lahore is as follow.
District Officer Livestock District Officer Livestock
Rural services Urban services
DDOL (AH) Assist. Dir. Meat Inspection
DDOL (BI) Assist. Dir. Slaughter houses
Assist. Director (Extension Services)
Similar setups can be designated for other districts. One setup of District Livestock Officer (Livestock production) can be useful for other districts.
2. One new post designated as (Additional Principal Veterinary Officer (APVO) has been approved with 4-tier service structure. This post is field oriented for field hospitals. Now the Officers promoted for this post will be available for field hospitals. These Officers can share in the development of Livestock sector effectively through their vast experience. This post has the pay scale of B.S. 19 and the hospitals available in the field are not of their status. However, available hospitals can be upgraded according to the status of this post. It is suggested that for such experienced Officers Model hospitals should be established. The officers should be directed to make the village of that hospital as a Model village and Model Union Council from the point of livestock production. Model hospital should be equipped with modern diagnostic, treatment and extension services aids. One Officer alone cannot fulfill all such heavy responsibilities and services. At least three Veterinary Officers should be posted in Model hospital for assistance of APVO.
Model hospital should have one diagnostic laboratory equipped with essential apparatus including autoclave, oven, deep freezer etc. and chemicals. There should be two vehicles one fully equipped as Mobile Veterinary Dispensary, being ready to meet emergency cases any time. The other vehicle will be equipped for audio visual aids and will contain sufficient published material for distribution to the farmers. It will also be utilized for progeny testing and activities related with establishment of Model Village and Model Union Council. Hospital outdoor should be equipped with modern diagnostic instruments as X-ray machine, ultrasound machine etc. Hospital should have sufficient storage space for storage of medicines and vaccines along with Refrigerator. In addition to its own use, this hospital will also distribute the medicines and vaccines to the hospitals of the area. APVO will coordinate all the extension activities (as farmer days, school focus programs etc.) of the whole area (Tehsil). Hospital should also provided with one latest computer with UPS, telephone and broadband connection for: full time connection with head quarter, registration of record of progressive farmers, milk production data of registered farmers, Progeny testing program data etc. For efficient Progeny testing program few data recorders and one computer operator will also be required.
3. For better extension services coordination and guidance of APVO will improve the quality of the farmer days and school focus programs in its area. Such programs may be in less number but these should be improved for quality showing more effectiveness. At least 3 milk competitions should be arranged in each district per year. Government should provide sufficient funds for these milk competitions so that such programs should be effective and showing quality. Most effective method of extension services is the installation of a radio station of a local radio. It can provide farmer oriented programs. Farmers will like to listen such radio. The messages that are provided to farmers at one place for one time in routine extension techniques. But the same messages can be repeated for farmers many times with the help of radio. Through radio talks we can solve many technical problems of farmers through replying the answers to the letters of farmers. It is less cost effective as compared to other electronic media.
4. For efficient services it is suggested that all the hospitals of SVOs should also be linked with internet for direct connection with headquarter.
5. For efficient field services it is suggested that Veterinary Officers should be considered at par with Medical doctors and engineers. It is already on record in 1977, the government of Pakistan declared that Veterinary Officers will be considered at par with Medical doctors and engineers in respect of pay and promotion. But this decision has been ignored by authorities afterwards. For better efficiency of Livestock department, this decision should be implemented word to word. It is further suggested that for efficient field veterinary services motor cycles and 4wheelers should be provided to field staff on loans without markup being returnable though installments.
6. Farmers should be benefited through free vaccination and free deworming and dipping facilities.
7. Pepra rules need amendment for procurement of medicines. In present rules medicines can be purchased from the party offering minimum rate. Such rates are provided by local companies. Qualities of medicines of these companies are usually substandard. But we have to purchase such medicine in order to comply the Pepra rules. Many hazards and scandals have appeared both in case of human and veterinary medicines. It should be brought to the notice of the members of assemblies and request should be made to change the Pepra rules for procurement of medicines.
8. Residences should be provided for both A and B category hospitals. If it is not possible, at least residences should be supplied in A category or Model hospitals. If the space for residences is not available in the boundary of hospital then some land may be purchase near hospital and multistory residence buildings may be constructed. Without residences 24 hours service of treatment cannot be provided. For 24 hours field services security should also be provided to the field staff.
9. For improvement of our local milk breeds potential, some projects should be planned. The best way is the search of Elite calves and then their rearing for breeding purpose. Search of such calves is not difficult. Meet with the owners of the animals whose animal stood first or second in the milk competitions and get purchase the male calves of such cows or buffaloes. These calves should be purchased at any cost and then rear at some Livestock Farm for breeding purpose. These calves should also be verified through DNA test. After maturity of these calves, their semen doses should be prepared and further tested through progeny testing program. Such tested bulls can produce a revolutionary breakthrough in the potential of next generation.
10. In order to refresh and upgrade the knowledge of the field staff, trainings of new techniques and new methods of livestock management should be offered or arranged. For official staff trainings of Office Management, Financial matters, PEEDA act, Pepra rules and IT skills are offered by MPDD. Staff must be trained through such trainings.
Dr. Zafar Iqbal,
Directorate of Animal Health, Livestock Complex, Cooper Road, Lahore