Job Alert 06 Feb 2013
Date Posted: 2012/12/26 04:40:44
Expiry Date: 2013/02/24
Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort
– To provide a support for Manager Veterinary Services in variety of administration and technical veterinary services and tasks.
– Provides a series of veterinary services to AWPR.
– Supervise assigned staff to the level determined by Senior Management.
-Develop and mentor progress of UAE National staff.
– Design and implement biosafety policy at AWPR.
– Responsible for immunization of animals, disease screening, parasite surveillance and control, and vermin control.
– Reviews and analyzes pathology records.
– Liaise with local, regional and international institutions in issues related to different veterinary research activities.
– Responsible for the co-ordination and supervision of the staff involved in approved veterinary research programmes.
– Responsible for implementing the prevention medicine program that include all practices that strengthen genetic and immunologic resistance to disease.
– Responsible to provide effective quarantine program for all incoming and outgoing animals.
– Design/review of vaccination program based on the animal collection, diseases endemic to the area and potential for exposure.
– Design infectious disease screening program based on the prevalence of a disease in the vicinity of the Park.
– Periodic reviews of animal diet.
– As a part of preventive medicine program a periodic review of vermin control (both vertebrate and invertebrate) because of the potential for pests to serve as vectors or reservoirs of disease.
– Periodically review of mortality and morbidity as part of a preventive medicine program.
– Conducts clinical research, documents findings, and publishes in peer-reviewed scientific journals and other publications.
– Attends professional meetings and presents research findings.
– Prepares weekly and monthly reports; maintains a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests and effectively coordinate activities.
– Undertakes related tasks as directed by senior management.
– Ensure that all AWPR EHS policies are followed.
– Academic and Professional Qualification.
– Minimum: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an accredited university and experience within a zoological institution.
– Preferred: – M.Sc. in Veterinary Medicine preferably in Medicine and Surgery from an accredited university.
– At least 6-8 years in veterinary medicine practice of which at least 6 years should be in a zoo or similar environment dealing with a range of diverse exotic animals.
Domain Skills and Knowledge Required:
– An understanding of the purpose of Al Ain Wildlife Park, its mission and the outline function of each department within the organisation.
– Excellent experience caring for exotic animals; knowledge of regulations affecting zoological institutions.
– Excellent experience in animal surgical skills
– Ability to prepare materials for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
– Good MS office skills
– Excellent administrative skills.
– Good person to person skills.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Good presentation skills
– Excellent supervisory/management skills