Health Benefits of Peanuts
Sunday, 06 January 2013
Peanuts : Delicious, crunchy, and nutty Peanuts are one of the popular oil seeds known to humankind since ancient times. The nuts are enriched with many noteworthy health-benefiting nutrients that are essential for optimum health.
They are actually legumes but have almost all the qualities that true nuts like Almonds. Botanically, the nuts are small size fruit pods of plant belonging to the “ Fabaceae ” family of the genus Arachis.
The Dry Great appetizer Fruit Of Winters, Favorite For All Peoples In Every Age . Also Mine favorite Because These Frits Are Not Too Costlier , Easily Available in Market , Peanuts is popular dry fruit in Pakistan
It Also provides Employment To Unemployed Poor Peoples For a Season So They Establish Small Stalls In Corners Of Roads .
Today, the nuts are widely cultivated oil seeds and has established as prime commercial crop in cultivated in
Khairpur Mir’s , Sanghar , Ghotki in Sindh and Barany and sandy areas of Punjab where water is available ,
Also in China, African , india nations, and the United States of America .
After the seedling, the plant takes approximately 120 to 150 days to produce the crop. The process of peanut development is quite interesting! The yellow flowers, after self-pollination, develop in to “ovaries,” called “Pedicels“,
which elongate rapidly to turn downward to bury several inches deep under the ground from where the fruits develop into peanut pods we know.
To harvest, the entire plant, including roots, is dug out from the soil. Each plant may bear 10-150 fruit pods.
The pods have wrinkled shells that are constricted between pairs of the two to four seeds per pod. Each seed is covered with thin brown color cover and can be split in to two halves as in any other legumes.
It’s Also one of the Most profitable crop of Pakistan not only in Production but Pakistan Exports it As well .
Health benefits of Peanuts:
1. Peanuts are rich in energy and contain many health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins.
2. Lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol”. Research studies suggest that Mediterranean diet.
3. Help to reduce the risk of stomach cancer by reducing the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines.
4. Peanuts has been found to have protective function against cancers, heart disease, degenerative nerve disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and viral/fungal infections.
5. The nuts are packed with many important B-complex groups of vitamins.
6. Excellent source of vitamin E (a-tocopherol), containing about 8g per100g.
7. The nuts are rich source of minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and seleniu..
Preparation and serving methods
Peanut is usually eaten as it is, by cracking them with firm pressure between fingers or using clippers, or nutcracker machine. The nuts can also be enjoyed roasted, boiled, salted, or sweetened.
By: Zakaullah Pathan
Pathan Cattle Farm