Japan to train KP agri scientists on hybrid veg seeds

PESHAWAR (February 27, 2011) : The government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) will sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government of Japan for training agricultural scientists on hybrid seeds of vegetables. This was stated by Khyber Pakhtunkwha Minister for Agriculture Mohammad Ayub Jan in the Guest House Programme held under the auspices of Peshawar Press Club (PPC) on Saturday.

Under the agreement, he said, four to five agricultural scientists will go to Japan for attending the training to prevent import of hybrid vegetables seed in the province. He said that rehabilitation of water channels damaged in the last summer floods was in progress. He said that 1200 watercourses were damaged in Swat, which have already been repaired. The minister said that 38,38000 acres land on the bank of River Swat, with standing maize crop and orchards had been washed away, saying that de-silting is in progress.

He said that de-silting process in Peshawar, Charsadda and Nowshera has been completed. He said that agriculture engineering department is providing bulldozers on subsidised rates to farmers. He said that the provincial government is working on scheme of the installation of 550 irrational tube-wells to bring maximum land under cultivation in the province.

The minister said that 200 tube-wells had been installed during financial year 2009-10 while work on 100 would be completed during financial year 2010-11 and remaining 200 would be installed in coming financial year 2011-12. He said that the provincial government is paying 50 percent subsidy in each scheme. The cost of each scheme is Rs 0.6 million and the provincial government is paying a subsidy of Rs 0.3 million on the installation of each tube-well.

The tube-well, he said, is capable of irrigating 80 to 100 kanal of agriculture land and water provided to the farmers on the basis of first come first gain. The completion of the scheme, he said, will help bring maximum increase in the area under cultivation. He said that the provincial government has also initiated Rs 120 million land levelling scheme to more 10,000 acres land under cultivation in the province. The ratio of subsidy in the scheme is 80:20–80 percent cost of the scheme would be borne by the provincial government and remaining 20 percent by the farmers. The scheme, he said, will help overcome the problem of unemployment in the province.

The minister termed agriculture the backbone of national economy, saying that progress and development of any nation is linked with self-sufficiency in the production of essential food products. He said that 20th century was declared a period for agricultural and industrial development. However, he said, “our country remained far behind other countries of the world”.

The 21st century, he said, is once declared century of agriculture development. Measures in this regard, he said, had already been initiated and efforts were continuing despite prevailing insurgency-like situation in the province. He said that agriculture is the backbone of the economy of the province as the provincial was industrially backward and keeping in view the situation, the provincial fixed 4 percent of its GDP for the sector.

He said that 60 percent agriculture of the land is non-irrigated as compare to 40 percent irrigated land. He said that the government is taking initiatives for increase in the irrigated areas through small dams. He said that for achievement of self-sufficiency in wheat, maize and vegetables the provincial government is working on developing of hybrid seeds and a formal seed industry had also been created. All research farms in the province have directed for establishment of nurseries in this regard.

He said that the province for the first time has become self-sufficient in seed of wheat. He said that the province requires 10,000 tons seed for cultivation. He said that last summer floods damaged 40 percent wheat seed stocked at Tarnab, DI Khan and Pir Sabaq. But, the demand was met by the provincial government.

The minister for agriculture said that the province produces about 80,000 tons maize and its market is Punjab. He said that the hybrid of wheat and maize is different as the latter remained different every year. He said that the output of hybrid Babar and Kiramat is better, saying a project is being prepared to co-ordinate to co-ordinate with the growers for its adoption.

 

Courtesy BR

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More